Date:      Thu, 8 Jun 2006 11:22:07 -0700
From:      "Atom Powers" <atom.powers@gmail.com>
To:        "Matthias Apitz" <m.apitz@oclcpica.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, drseuk@droog.sdf-eu.org
Subject:   Re: Configuring FreeBSD for use as an interactive kiosk

On 6/8/06, guru@sisis.de <guru@sisis.de> wrote:
> El d=EDa Thursday, June 08, 2006 a las 11:16:15AM +0000, drseuk@droog.sdf=
-eu.org escribi=F3:

> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm involved with a museum which has a standalone interactive kiosk. Th=
> > system runs an Apache2 server with PHP and MySQL on Windows XP. The
> > problem is that Windows XP keeps becoming corrupted as a result of the
> > machine being switched on and off at random (by staff, kids etc.).
> >
> > Currently, the museum management is very open to switching to FreeBSD o=
> > similar - provided I can *completely* bulletproof the box against
> > arbitrary power-cycling (I can't always be there to manually run fsck
> > etc.).

Google for 'KDE Kiosk". There is at at least one project I used two
years ago to completely lock down a FreeBSD box using KDE and Firefox
(firebird at the time, I think)
You shouldn't have power-off issues if you never write data to the
drive, kind of tricky unless you make it a near-disktless system that
runs firefox off a network drive.

> Don't know (and I'm to lazy to Google) if there is a FreeBSD live-CD
> project, sure it has to be...

FreeSBIE 2 is nearing release.

--=20
--
Perfection is just a word I use occasionally with mustard.
--Atom Powers--