Date:      Tue, 26 May 2020 18:52:21 -0700
From:      Adrian Chadd <adrian.chadd@gmail.com>
To:        Matthew Macy <mmacy@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: iflib and options RSS is a no go for igbX

On Tue, 26 May 2020 at 17:01, Matthew Macy <mmacy@freebsd.org> wrote:

> > I can go setup my second PC this week (I have PTO!) and go see if I
> > have any PCIe igb hardware here. I /think/ I do but it's fibre.
>
> The RSS compile time option used to be disabled in part because of
> this. The drivers had working RSS that relied on packet receipt before
> setting flowid.

And it should also work fine if you don't compile in the RSS option.
The reason it's annoying is when you do RSS + PCBGROUPS; as I said in
the ena review the challenge was getting traffic into the right
pcbgroup inpcb list and that isn't doable if you're waiting for
hardware flowid first.

Honestly I think we should rename it to something else besides RSS,
cause it's more like PCBGROUPS + microsoft RSS. It's not very well
named right now and I think it's confusing tf out a lot of people.

-adrian