Date:      Wed, 29 Nov 2000 20:04:48 -0500
From:      Scott Reber <sreber@atltechgroup.com>
To:        Rick Hamell <hamellr@heorot.1nova.com>, FreeBSD-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Domain Name setup

Your dns zone looks like this now:

$ORIGIN 1nova.com
1nova.com.      IN NS    ns1.centralinfo.net.
                 IN NS    ns2.centralinfo.net.
                 IN A     63.105.24.23
                 IN MX    0 63.105.24.23.
ftp.1nova.com.  IN A     63.105.24.23
                 IN CNAME 63.105.24.23.
heorot.1nova.com. IN A     63.105.24.23
mail.1nova.com. IN A     63.105.24.23
                 IN CNAME 63.105.24.23.
www.1nova.com.  IN A     63.105.24.23
                 IN CNAME 63.105.24.23.
;** Received 12 records for 1nova.com from 63.102.200.2

It should look like this:

$ORIGIN 1nova.com
1nova.com.              IN NS   ns1.centralinfo.net.
                         IN NS   ns2.centralinfo.net.
                         IN A    63.105.24.23
                         IN MX   0 mail.1nova.com.
mail.1nova.com. IN A    63.105.24.23
ftp.1nova.com.          IN CNAME        mail.1nova.com.
heorot.1nova.com.       IN CNAME        mail.1nova.com.
www.1nova.com.          IN CNAME        mail.1nova.com.

The should only be one A record per address, the rest should be
CNAMEs.  Only names should have a period after them (not addresses).  The
name specified in the MX record must be directly resolvable via an A record.