Date:      Tue, 4 Sep 2001 23:09:33 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>
To:        "Nickolay A.Kritsky" <nkritsky@internethelp.ru>
Cc:        <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Need help with limits(1)

On Tue, 4 Sep 2001, Nickolay A.Kritsky wrote:

>   Hi, all.
>   I have a webserver running on FreeBSD 3.3. One of the perl scripts
> located there has some bug, that puts him in the infinite loop. This
> causes my webserver to stall, so that the only way to reboot is
> hardware reset. I want to restrict user httpd to use no more than
> 75% of CPU time. I read man limits(1) and man getrlimit(2) but they

As someone else suggested in this thread, you're probably looking at the
wrong problem.  Using 100% of CPU should not stall the box.  Instead, the
problem is probably that your script is eating up all ram and swap.  Set
memory limits to deal with it, or upgrade.  AFAIK low memory deadlock
prevention wasn't really perfected until recently.  So, upgrading to 4.4
should also help the problem, and you should consider doing it (for many
other reasons besides this, of course.)

Check into limiting memory consumption first, though.

Mike "Silby" Silbersack