Date:      Thu, 6 Jul 2000 18:49:08 +0300 (EET DST)
From:      "Giorgos Keramidas" <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   XFree86 problems on 3.x

hello there,

i have installed a couple of times xfree 3.3.6 but my workstation at
work seems to have some serious problem with them, and i thought i might
drop a note in case anyone has seen this and can help me ;)

problem #0:
  the screen flickers at the right end, when i move windows around
  when 'opaque move' is set to *on*.

  i think that this might be bad bad timings, but i haven't tweaked
   the 'standard' modes of xf86config's output.

problem #1 (more serious):
  at (seemingly) random intervals X will lock my keyboard dead,
  but not the mouse, and i can only recover by ssh'ing to my machine
  from a near-by workstation and killing X.

  some times, even killing X does not work and it will leave my
  console displaying strange ascii-graphics characters, or funny
  colors in text mode.

since i haven't provided any information on my system's setup,
here it is:

	- FreeBSD 3.x cvsup'ed almost daily

	- XFree 3.3.6 installed from ports

	- my kernel config is derived from GENERIC
	  with some changes to add support for my ps/2 mouse and keyboard.

has anyone seen this happen?
wha would you suggest, other than throwing by hardware in flames ? ;)

- giorgos