Date:      Wed, 11 Feb 2004 20:48:25 -0500
From:      Chad M Stewart <cms@balius.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   mountd acting strangely

Maybe someone can shed some light on this one for me.  I'm using
FreeBSD as the nfs server and Mac OS X (10.3.2) as the client.  If I
boot the FreeBSD box, then I am unable to mount from my Mac.  However
if I simply restart mountd on the server then the client can perform
the mount.

FreeBSD clio 4.9-RELEASE-p2 FreeBSD 4.9-RELEASE-p2 #1: Thu Feb  5
14:43:00 EST 2004     root@clio:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/CUSTOM.1  i386

Feb 11 20:41:39 clio /kernel: NFS request from unprivileged port
(192.168.1.199:53390)

bash-2.05b# ps ax|grep mountd
    78  ??  Ss     0:00.00 mountd -n
bash-2.05b# kill -TERM 78
bash-2.05b# mountd -n

bash-2.05b# grep mount /etc/rc.conf
mountd_flags="-n"               # Flags to mountd (if NFS server
enabled).

It is not a fluke thing, it is repeatable, i.e. reboot the server.

Thanks,
Chad