Date:      Tue, 4 Nov 1997 10:33:03 -0000
From:      Ian Vaudrey <i.vaudrey@cableinet.co.uk>
To:        "'Jordan K. Hubbard'" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        "'Satoshi Asami'" <asami@cs.berkeley.edu>, "'ports@freebsd.org'" <ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Ranlib

On 04 November 1997 10:06, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
> >  * > I can reproduce the problem with at least one existing port, libmalloc-1
> .18,
> >  * > I haven't tried any others but if I'm right about the cause it'll happen
> >  * > with any port that has an @exec ranlib line in the PLIST.
> >  *
> >  * I'll take a look at it.  Like I said, @exec lines aren't even supposed
> >  * to be _run_ by pkg_delete so this would be a very peculiar situation
> >  * of so.
> >
> > No, he's right.  "@exec ranlib" is run by pkg_add, and that changes
> > the md5 checksum, which causes pkg_delete to choke.
>
> Ahhhh.  Now that's different!  He said that the @exec line was being
> run by pkg_delete, not that it was fooling the md5 check into failing.

No, I never said that the @exec line was being run by pkg_delete. In
my first mail I wrote "the @exec line seems to break pkg_delete", I was
deliberately brief because I just wanted to know if I could lose the
@exec ranlib line. In my second mail I elaborated "I put this down to
something (the md5 signature?) being changed by the @exec ranlib line -
which is of course run by pkg_add, although the error isn't produced
until pkg_delete is run.". My apologies if that still wasn't clear
enough.

> Yeah, I can see how that would happen.
>
> Hmmmm.  Is the ranlib even necessary with the GNU loader?  If not, why
> not just take that out?

That was the gist of my original mail :)

> 					Jordan

 - Ian