Date:      Tue, 13 Sep 2011 00:43:14 +0200
From:      Olivier Smedts <olivier@gid0.org>
To:        Michal Varga <varga.michal@gmail.com>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, gabor@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Thank you (for making the ports less boring).

2011/9/12 Michal Varga <varga.michal@gmail.com>:
> Dear maintainer of databases/gdbm,
>
> Thank you for committing the latest update of gdbm with a (nowhere to be
> found mentioned in UPDATING) shared library bump, which again makes my
> very dull FreeBSD installation a little bit more fun to maintain, and
> especially - *use*
>
> After all, it's been now running for close to a week without almost any
> minor ports breakage, so I presume that alone warrants a quick fix to
> that whole very boring and uneventful situation, of course:
>
> $ mplayer
> /libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libgdbm.so.3" not found, required
> by "libpulse.so.0"

I don't want to participate in any flamewar or conversation about how
freebsd ports in general should work, and I'm sure you know what
you're doing, but as a quick note (for you or anyone), if you use
something like "portmaster" to update your ports, you can use the "-w"
switch to save the old libs in /usr/local/lib/compat/pkg/ in case of
bump. Really useful to not break your system.

Cheers

--=20
Olivier Smedts=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =
=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0=A0 _
=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0=
 =A0 ASCII ribbon campaign ( )
e-mail: olivier@gid0.org=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 - against HTML email & vCards=A0 X
www: http://www.gid0.org=A0 =A0 - against proprietary attachments / \

=A0 "Il y a seulement 10 sortes de gens dans le monde :
=A0 ceux qui comprennent le binaire,
=A0 et ceux qui ne le comprennent pas."