Date:      Fri, 22 Jan 1999 09:25:57 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Daniel M. Eischen" <deischen@iworks.interworks.org>
To:        rpj@fep.hirshfields.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Will FreeBSD *ever* fix their 2940U drivers ???????????????

> > As I said before, I think you are looking in the wrong place.  You
> > will probably fail.
>
>    Yes. WE all know that. Evidently you are not one of the MANY that have
> experienced this PROBLEM first hand. You have made it perfectly clear that
> it is not FreeBSD! I beg to differ. Why does NetBSD boot it up ? eh ?
>
>    I should send you one of my PC's, controller card(s), and 2.2.6, 2.2.5, 2.2.2,
> 2.1.6, 2.1.5 and let you "play" with it for a year and see if you got it
> running yet.
>
>    I can take the exact same controller, ribbon, hard disk, all as one unit,
> put it all into a newer PC, and it all boots up. No problemo.
>
>    Light'n up. You come across defensive, as if you wrote the driver for it. Whether
> you did or didn't, I'm just stating the facts I and others have encountered for the
> last 2 years. I'm just reporting my _findings_. Geez. It really doesn't surprise
> me when one considers ALL the hardware combonations that are out there in the
> marketplace, particularly over the last 5 years, that thier isn't more hardware
> blues encountered.

And you seem to totally ignore the fact that the NetBSD aic7xxx
driver is the same aic7xxx driver that is found in FreeBSD!!!!!
Look at the subject of your message.  It isn't the aic7xxx
driver if it works in NetBSD.

Granted, maybe you have something quirky about your motherboard
that gives FreeBSD problems - I don't know much about motherboard
BIOS problems having only used FreeBSD on 4 or 5 different types
of motherboards.

Have you even tried FreeBSD 2.2.8 or 3.0 to *see* if the boot
floppies will work?

I suggest you try 3.0-RELEASE, 2.2.6 is rather old and there
have been substantial changes since then -- even with the aic7xxx
driver.

DE