Date:      Tue, 4 Jan 2022 03:18:36 +0000
From:      Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca>
To:        Konstantin Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com>, Tomoaki AOKI <junchoon@dec.sakura.ne.jp>
Cc:        "freebsd-current@freebsd.org" <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>, "d@delphij.net" <d@delphij.net>, "rmacklem@freebsd.org" <rmacklem@freebsd.org>, "re@FreeBSD.org Engineering Team" <re@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: [RFC] Making mount_nfs to attempt NFSv4 before NFSv3 and NFSv2?

Konstantin Belousov wrote:=0A=
[good stuff snipped]=0A=
> The v4 NFS is very different from v3, it is not an upgrade, it is rather=
=0A=
> a different network filesystem with some (significant) similarities to v3=
.=0A=
>=0A=
> That said, it should be fine changing the defaults, but you need to ensur=
e=0A=
> that reasonable scenarios, like the changed FreeBSD client mounting=0A=
> from v3-only server, still work correctly.  The change should be made in =
a=0A=
> way that only affects client that connects to the server that has both=0A=
> v4 and v3.=0A=
A particular test case that needs to be done is the diskless NFS root fs.=
=0A=
This case must use NFSv3 and if it is not the default, it might break?=0A=
I am not really set up to test this at this time.=0A=
(There are assorted reasons that NFSv4 does not, or at least might not,=0A=
 work for a diskless root fs, but that is a separate topic.)=0A=
=0A=
Other than testing diskless NFS root file systems, I do not have a=0A=
strong opinion w.r.t. whether the default should change.=0A=
=0A=
If the default stays as NFSv3, a fallback to NFSv4 could be done, which=0A=
would handle the NFSv4 only server case. (No one uses NFSv2 any more,=0A=
so the fallback to NFSv2 is almost irrelevant, imho.)=0A=
=0A=
rick=0A=
=0A=