Date:      Fri, 13 Dec 2002 08:26:36 -0600
From:      "Jack L. Stone" <jackstone@sage-one.net>
To:        stacey@vickiandstacey.com, David Loszewski <stealth215@attbi.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: no internal access to webpage

At 07:30 AM 12.13.2002 +0000, Stacey Roberts wrote:
>Hi Dave,
>   The reason you have access to your webserver from external sites is
>somewhat the reason why you don't have internal access (by name) to your
>webserver.
>
>The gateway passes requests to port 80 it receives from its *external*
>interface to port 80 on your webserver. From an internal host, attempts
>to access the website hits your gateway, on its *internal* interface,
>and is passed to the Internet via the external interface. The
>translation of the returning request by the external interface back in
>doesn't work with the current set up of natd.
>
>Running a local nameserver that points to the local address of the
>website would probably work.., ONLY if its shielded from the Internet
>though. If not, you'd end up with your DNS pointing to a website that's
>bound to a RFC 1918 (private) address - not good.
>
>Hope this helps.
>
>Stacey
>
>On Fri, 2002-12-13 at 07:04, David Loszewski wrote:
>> I'm having a problem where I can't access my webpage internally but can
>> access it externally.  I'm running all FreeBSD 4.6.2 and 4.7 machines
>> and have no internal namerserver of anytype.  do I need to create an
>> internal nameserver for myself to type in my domain name and come up
>> with my webpage?  I have a gateway and the gateway forwards any requests
>> for port 80 to the webserver.
>>
>> Dave

Maybe I haved missed the point of your problem, but if your web server is
on a separate machine within a private network, you should be able to reach
it from your internal NW by entering the internal private IP, (or machine
name) such as:

http://192.168.0.4
or....
http://my_internal_mach_name

Add the machine's host name to /etc/hosts

Again, I didn't follow Stacey's answer so maybe I missed the point....
otherwise, hope this helps.

Best regards,
Jack L. Stone,
Administrator