Date:      Mon, 15 Jul 2002 22:15:38 -0700
From:      Glen Mehn <glen@burningman.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Poor Mans Software raid 1 on root partition?
References:  <25f401c228d4$a3482fb0$1a01000a@area51><20020711091015.B51520@flake.decibel.org><20020711200902.3653b534.steve@sohara.org><20020713032546.GD61459@wantadilla.lemis.com><20020713075109.06ecf02f.steve@sohara.org><20020713100218.B284@twincat.vladsempire.net><20020713222745.00281f72.steve@sohara.org><20020714004247.GB16279@wantadilla.lemis.com> <20020714071524.1587f419.steve@sohara.org> <007801c22c6c$9dc32fe0$0900a8c0@P1200n> <3D338329.4010205@quack.kfu.com>

You can get a 3ware 7210 for $120: http://newegg.com

it'll save you a lOT of time and heartache, and it's not that much $$...

-g

Nick Sayer wrote:
> It would be far, far better to simply do a daily backup using 'dump'.
> For just a little more money than buying a whole 'nother drive, you
> could buy a tape drive. Tape drives are really ideal for backups because
>   you can store the media other than inside the machine you're backing
> up. :-)
>
> If you don't want a tape drive, it's still a better idea to do dumps to
> another disk rather than dd. Why?
>
> 1. You can compress the output of dump.
>
> 2. You don't have to have identically partitioned disks
>
> 3. You won't get a "clean" filesystem copying it with dd. In fact, the
> source filesystem may change enough over the course of the dd that the
> resulting image may be completely useless.
>
> 4. You can potentially store many, many days worth of backups on the
> alternate drive. This lets you restore not just last night's backup, but
> potentially last *week's*.
>
> 5. You can use the 'nodump' flag (see chflags(1)) to exclude files from
> the backup that are uninteresting.
>
> Yes, doing a restore takes a little more time than simply booting the
> other drive. But in practice, the likelyhood that you will really *need*
> to do so is sufficiently low as to not be worthwhile, IMHO.
>
> The only reason to consider software raid for a truly mission critical
> application is if you've got a really large dataset in an external box
> that you can move from one machine to another if you need to get back up
> quickly. In that circumstance, presumably the contents of the system
> disk of the machine don't matter, meaning that the application would
> come back on line simply by moving the disk to another machine and
> restarting it. If that's unreasonable, then the whole machine requires
> RAID (among other things), which means you'll be getting a hardware RAID.
>
> But don't ever forget that RAID won't help you if you accidently do an
> rm -rf / as root. :-) Data integrity is NOT a substitute for good backups.
>
> Tortise@Paradise wrote:
>
>> Reading this thread it seems that this is currently not an option.
>>
>> However why can't we do a poor mans RAID, namely run a cron job say daily
>> (or whenever) which bulk copies / updates one (complete) HDD onto a
>> second
>> one, be it SCSI or IDE, with a view that should the main HDD fail the
>> second
>> can still be booted from and the only data loss will be the interim since
>> the last "backup".  Comments on this strategy would be appreciated.
>> (No! I
>> do not work for a HDD manufacturer.....LOL)
>>
>> David Hingston MB ChB MBA
>> tortoise@paradise.net.nz
>> http://hingston.yi.org/
>> http://pcmc.yi.org/
>> If you seek a digitally signed response please advise.
>> If you received a warning on reading this e-mail, please go to
>> http://www.baycorpid.com/settings/email.asp?CA=healthcert to update your
>> settings

> [...]

Glen Mehn
glen at burningman dot com	at zerowaitstate dot com	at doofdoof dot com
"If u ever devour the universe, remember to spit the dragon back out.xx."
						-swan