Date:      Sun, 17 Jan 1999 12:08:49 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Which sound card now?

Luigi Rizzo writes:
> have you tried playing with the mixer to mute the synth (or other
> unused sources) ? That's a common problem, i don't initialize the synth
> so it might be free-running generating noise.

nospam: {1011} mixer
Mixer synth    is currently set to  75:75
Mixer pcm      is currently set to  64:64
Mixer speaker  is currently set to  75:75
Mixer line     is currently set to  32:32
Mixer mic      is currently set to  64:64
Mixer cd       is currently set to  75:75
Mixer mix      is currently set to   0:0
Mixer igain    is currently set to  37:37

nospam: {1024} mixer
Mixer synth    is currently set to   0:0
Mixer pcm      is currently set to  64:64
Mixer speaker  is currently set to  75:75
Mixer line     is currently set to   0:0
Mixer mic      is currently set to  64:64
Mixer cd       is currently set to   0:0
Mixer mix      is currently set to   0:0
Mixer igain    is currently set to   0:0

As each was dropped to 0:0, the volume level of the static decreased.
Mic settings did not reduce the static altho I have a mic plugged in.
With the delay thru the sound system I have an expensive reverb. Its
still there and can be heard over the volume of the 4 fans and 7200 RPM
HD in my system. Speakers and system are under the table too.

> > Without telling PnP anything special it was detected and appears to work
> > (cat /usr/local/lib/exmh-2.0.2/drip.au > /dev/audio) But I think the dma
> > assignment needs manual attention? Shouldn't it be "dma 1:3" as my AW37
> > said? This is -current as of 2-jan-99.
>
> no, it's PnP, it autoconfigures.

Tried hard coding "flags 0x13" in my kernel configuration. Didn't take.
PnP apparently knows what its doing:

Probing for PnP devices:
CSN 1 Vendor ID: YMH0020 [0x2000a865] Serial 0xffffffff Comp ID: PNPb02f [0x2fb0d041]
mss_attach <Yamaha SA2>1 at 0x530 irq 5 dma 0:1 flags 0x11
setting up yamaha registers
set yamaha master volume to max
pcm1 (CS423x/Yamaha/AD1816 <Yamaha SA2> sn 0xffffffff) at 0x530-0x537 irq 5 drq 0 flags 0x11 on isa

While the AW37 never produced correct sounds, it never generated this
static.

Almost couldn't sleep last night as I thought I'd found the source of
all my sound problems (this static and the AW37 problem) and couldn't
wait to try it. Nope. Had the great idea I was plugging amplified
speakers (line level inputs) into 8 ohm jacks. There *are* line level
inputs and mic inputs on the sound cards but apparently the speaker
outputs are line level too. Oh well, it was a good idea.