Date:      Thu, 05 Oct 2000 23:50:25 -0400
From:      Jan Knepper <jan@smartsoft.cc>
To:        Justin Ko <aka_jasting@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Partitioning Limitations

Depending on how old or how new your machine is you will need to count with the
fact that a bootable partition has to start within the first 8 GB of your
harddisk.
Thus if you have a 13 GB harddisk as decide that you want DOS, NTFS and FreeBSD
you can
DOS:1 + NTFS:6.5 + FreeBSD:rest
You can NOT
DOS:1 + NTFS:8 + FreeBSD:rest
because in that case the FreeBSD partition starts AFTER the first 8 GB of your
disk and your BIOS won't be able to load the loader.

On one of my systems I have:
DOS:1+FreeBSD:6.5+NTFS:rest...

Don't worry, be Kneppie!
Jan

Justin Ko wrote:

> Hey. I'm trying to run a dual boot FreeBSD/Windows98 system off of the same
> hard drive. What kind of partitioning limitations will there be? I remember
> reaidng about FreeBSD having to be located on a partition within 1024
> cylinders of the head of the drive or something similar. Is that the case?
> I've been moving around partitions and reinstalling for about a week now.
> I've tried having a FAT32 partition at the front of the drive, with another
> for FBSD. They both installed, but when I was booting with the boot manager,
> I would press F2 and FreeBSD wouldn't boot. I repartitioned and put the
> FreeBSD partition in front. The boot manager still refuses to allow both to
> boot within reinstalling one or the other. This problem is driving me crazy.
> If anyone could help me out or point me towards the right FAQs, I'd be very
> appreciative.
>
> -Justin

Jan Knepper
Smartsoft, LLC