Date:      Tue, 25 Nov 2003 13:32:03 +1100
From:      "Nigel Weeks" <nigel@e-easy.com.au>
To:        "'.VWV.'" <victorvittorivonwiktow@interfree.it>, <freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Re: what's unix and what's not

If you're after 'SSI' (Single Server Image), then you're in for some =
work on
FreeBSD.

The patches from the Mosix group could be ported, but it'd be hard work.
DragonFlyBSD has a distant goal to include between-machine messaging for
process migration, but I'd say you need one now.

If they'd handle a master/slave cluster, MPI, PVM, Ganglia(for =
monitoring),
and the new framework under Seti@home(BOINC) will run with the least =
amount
of work.

Out of the box:
Clusterit (/usr/ports/net/clusterit) gives some handy functionailty.
PVM (/usr/ports/net/pvm) runs brilliantly
MPI (/usr/ports/net/lam, /usr/ports/net/mpich) are popular, powerful =
methods

I'm into clusters too. I can't wait to do a `top` on a FreeBSD box, and =
see
processors 0 - 63 busy...

Ps. I'm not calling you a zealot. Just be careful recommending to others =
too
loudly.
It's a quick and easy way to get discredited.

Pps. I have an Israeli heritage. They write great code.

N.