Date:      Fri, 06 Mar 1998 10:38:34 +1100
From:      John Saunders <john.saunders@scitec.com.au>
To:        Robert Withrow <witr@rwwa.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Request for next release

Robert Withrow wrote:
> I mean, I got to understand the "live file system" CD back in the
> good old 2 CD days.  And I always enjoy the challenge of finding
> (or not finding) the unpacked source distribution.

Err, exactly what _is_ the live filesystem used for? I guess it could
be mounted to give all the binaries if I ever have to boot from a
rescue disk. But I've been lucky so far.

What exactly do you use the unpacked source distribution for? I tried
using the union filesystem to mount it so I could build directly off
the CD. But union is broken so I ended up having to copy the source
onto a harddisk anyway. Same with the CVS repository, you can't use
it on the CD and have to copy to harddisk. Also it seems faster to
extract the compressed tar files from the CD than to copy the unpacked
version.

So I never got the point of wasting all those CDs. :)

Cheers.
      .   | John Saunders   mailto:John.Saunders@scitec.com.au  (Work) |
  ,--_|\  |                 mailto:john@nlc.net.au              (Home) |
 /  Oz  \ |                 http://www.nlc.net.au/~john/               |
 \_,--\_/ | SCITEC LIMITED  Phone +61 2 9428 9563  Fax +61 2 9428 9933 |
       v  |    "By the time you make ends meet, they move the ends."   |