Date:      Mon, 19 May 1997 13:29:40 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   ptolemy 0.7 beta

Ptolemy 0.7 beta is out.  I've tested it on FreeBSD during alpha
phase.  Anyone interested in trying out the beta can get it at
ptolemy.berkeley.edu.

What is ptolemy?  It is big.  The best place to look is the web
page.  It is a graphical rapid prototyping programming environment
with various models of computation.  I use it for schematic
representation of specifications for control systems that also
happen to run.  It is a combination of old technology and good new
technology, with [incr tcl] based tycho slowly replacing some of
the older stuff.

It may not be a port, but I've put my build script at freebsd.org
in ~ftp/pub/dufault/ptolemy.build.

There are a few known bugs:

1. vem has a memory leak and will eventually become monstrously large.
Save frequently and restart occasionally.

2. phkmalloc will detect a free block being freed when pigi exits
in the shared library version of the program, and rarely the same
error at other times.  I've sent out the trace back and hopefully
a fix is forthcoming.

3. Xtk complains when you click "ok" on some of the old Athena
widgets and prompts with a "should I continue" sort of question,
stopping the program waiting for keyboard input.  This problem
existed in Linux and  evidently cleared up in newer versions of
XFree86 according to the Linux testers.  I just start up pigi with
"yes | pigi" for now.

Peter

--
Peter Dufault (dufault@hda.com)   Realtime development, Machine control,
HD Associates, Inc.               Safety critical systems, Agency approval