Date:      Fri, 6 Apr 2001 18:09:22 -0400
From:      Bosko Milekic <bmilekic@technokratis.com>
To:        Archie Cobbs <archie@dellroad.org>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mbuf leak? fxp?

On Thu, Apr 05, 2001 at 09:04:15PM -0700, Archie Cobbs wrote:
> Bosko Milekic writes:
> > NMBUFS accordingly. Chances are, if you are explicitly declaring
> > `NMBCLUSTERS <NO>' in your kernel configuration file, that you are
> > actually lowering the number of clusters/mbufs that would otherwise be
> > allowed with your given `maxusers' value (unless you have an unreasonably
> > low maxusers).
>
> Mmm.. I don't understand that.. can you explain?

	Heh. I'm sorry for being so "obscure" about this. After re-reading
it, I realize I should have probably just quoted the following:

#ifndef NMBCLUSTERS
#define NMBCLUSTERS	(512 + MAXUSERS * 16)
#endif
TUNABLE_INT_DECL("kern.ipc.nmbclusters", NMBCLUSTERS, nmbclusters);
TUNABLE_INT_DECL("kern.ipc.nmbufs", NMBCLUSTERS * 4, nmbufs);

(from src/sys/kern/uipc_mbuf.c)

	So, for example, for MAXUSERS 256, NMBCLUSTERS is 4608, whereas I have
seen people do things like this before:

maxusers 256
options NMBCLUSTERS 4096

	Thus actually reducing the address space allotted to clusters.

> -Archie

> Archie Cobbs     *     Packet Design     *     http://www.packetdesign.com

Regards,
--