Date:      Fri, 6 Apr 2001 03:17:35 GMT
From:      wkb@freebie.demon.nl
To:        "First, Tim" <firsttim@msu.edu>, "'wkb@freebie.demon.nl'" <wkb@freebie.demon.nl>, "'freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: 4.3RC2 on AlphaServer 2100A (Lynx)

> I already have the latest SRM firmware on the box.  I tried that after I had
> problems with 4.2 before doing my research. I will try the new kernel from
> Drew tomorrow morning when I get into work.

OK, then that is settled.

> I don't have a license for Tru64, and as I recall it was relitively
> expensive last time I checked.  This box currently has no useful purpose to

For .edu there are cheap licenses I think, but I was not suggesting to
put Tru64 on it permanently but just check if you could install it OK.
Again, I think Drew might be right on the EV4/EV5 issue.

My AS2100A is in .nl and I'm currently in .hk so I am unfortunately
not able to help out in testing. I have no EV5 CPUs for the Lynx
anyway.

> us, and I am trying to give it one.  I tried to trade it in, but just can't
> justify getting $3200 from dell for a box that cost us $750K four years ago.
> I am hoping to get a unix variant running on this to run amanda on and give
> it some more life.  I don't want to throw it away, but it's not worth
> $7500/year for maintainence.

It most definitely not worth that amount of money ;-) Donate it to Drew :)

Wilko