Date:      Mon, 8 Apr 2002 14:01:14 +1000 (EST)
From:      jason andrade <jason@dstc.edu.au>
To:        Murray Stokely <murray@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        hubs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How many sites have all of the i386 DP1 bits?

On Sun, 7 Apr 2002, Murray Stokely wrote:

>   Your previous complaints were taken seriously and addressed.  You
> complained that the 4.4-RELEASE announcement went out before even
> ftp.freebsd.org had all of the bits.  I have actively ensured that did
> not happen for 4.5 or 5.0-DP1.

and i appreciate those efforts.  the freebsd release system has become a
much better place since you've been talking to the hubs and the current
system is orders of magnitude better in providing a coherent mirror release
system to getting freebsd out to mirrors and thereby end users.

>   Part of the communication problem is that you continue to show such
> cynicism (even about such incredibly minor details), without even

well fer chrissake, i'm a mirror admin.  i'm going to be nitpicky about
stuff if i think it'll cause me extra work or differs from (vaguely
documented) release structures.

> acknowledging the fact that to date we have addressed each one of your
> concerns.  You can continue to send complaints and suggestions
> directly to me or the re@FreeBSD.org address, but your voice will be
> heard much better if you work on your communication style.  As it

i will take this onboard and attempt not to be such a sourpuss in future :-)

(though i still want to get some stuff off my chest about the 5.0
DP release here)

> stands now, I have no idea what your complaints are, because all I
> hear from you are vague snide remarks.  On those rare occasions when
> you've mentioned something specific, we have addressed it.

put it down to some years of frustation in getting anything done in this
forum.  apologies if it seems like all i do is complain, but yes, i do
dislike what i see as arbitary changes because it causes me extra work.

so for the 5.0 example, yes, it's "only" 2 images.  which is one more
than any release before 4.4 and three less than 4.5.  so thats the system?

if a release "that is not a full release" and has 1 or more iso images
but less than 5, it will get dropped into the main ISO tree instead of
its own tree ? c'mon.

so specifically for the next DP release can we get a 5.0 directory and put
iso images into it like 4.5 and 4.4 before it.

regards,

-jason