Date:      Fri, 10 May 2002 08:05:33 +1000
From:      "Chris Knight" <chris@aims.com.au>
To:        <andy@athame.co.uk>
Cc:        <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>, <glewis@freebsd.org>, <kde@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: ports/37881: x11-toolkits/qt30 headers  stop java/jdk13 plugin from building

Howdy,

> So which should take priority, Qt3 headers, or Mozilla headers?

The Mozilla ones - after all, they're useful. The Qt3 ones only
generate compilation errors.

> No, it would mean that people who want Qt3 and not Mozilla
> would have to install much more unwanted (I'm not saying useless)
> stuff.

Yes, but the Qt3 headers already state that you need to go and get
the header files from Mozilla anyway.

> And, for those who build from ports, that's a huge increase
> in download times, because mozilla-headers gets the full mozilla
> source, from what I remember.

And if they want to compile anything using at least the five headers
mentioned, tey will have to do this anyway.

> I'm not wanting to start a holy war of any kind here, I'd like
> to find a solution that suits everyone. The one you propose won't
> do that.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but finding a solution that suits
everyone is not possible.
If the Mozilla dependency is not to your liking, then the Qt3 port
maintainer needs to track the mozilla header changes and include
these in the port somehow.

Regards,
Chris Knight
Systems Administrator
AIMS Independent Computer Professionals
Tel: +61 3 6334 6664  Fax: +61 3 6331 7032  Mob: +61 419 528 795
Web: http://www.aims.com.au