Date:      Mon, 23 Aug 1999 13:28:14 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Monday strikes again

Must... control... fist of death...

I just tried to boot the latest -current snapshot (Aug 23) on my little
486/66 machine. The kern.flp kernel panics right after saying
"Probing for PnP devices:". Now, this machine has a PCI bus but it
doesn't support ISA plug and play, so before any of you lot start
theorizing about possible PnP BIOS problems, don't. The panic
message says the kernel dies because of a page fault trying to reference
memory location 0x4 (which is in page 0, which isn't mapped, which means
this is a NULL pointer dereference) at PC 0xc0175b20.

Running "nm kernel | grep c0175b" on the install kernel yields:

c0175b68 t cnuninit
c0175bc8 t sysctl_kern_consmute

Running "nm kernel | grep c0175a" on the install kernel yields:

c0175a50 T cninit
c0175afc T cninit_finish
c0175a50 t gcc2_compiled.
c0175a08 t l_noclose
c0175a14 T l_noread
c0175a2c t l_norint
c0175a38 t l_nostart
c0175a20 T l_nowrite
c0175a44 t l_nullioctl

My money says the problem is cninit_finish(). The hardware config of
this machine is as follows:

486DX2-S 66Mhz CPU
16MB RAM
Diamond Speedstar ISA SVGA adapter (ET4000 chipset, 1MB RAM)
IDE disk controller
Maxtor LTX-200A IDE disk
3.5" floppy drive
2 serial ports, one parallel port
Integrated Micro Systems PCI bridge
Compaq NetFlex 3/P PCI ethernet adapter
D-Link DFE-550TX PCI ethernet adapter

The machine is running a -current snapshot from August 9th which works
fine (or at least, it did after I fixed the PCI bridge detection
breakage that screwed it up last time). It looks like the major
difference is that /sys/i386/i386/cons.c was taken away and replaced with
some MI console routines in /sys/kern. My gut tells me that console
initialization is failing because it can't find the ISA graphics
adapter for some reason.

Anybody have any bright ideas where I can start looking for the problem?

-Bill