Date:      Thu, 11 May 2000 17:40:53 -0400
From:      Bob Johnson <bob@eng.ufl.edu>
To:        thursday@altavista.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: networking weirdness

thursday@altavista.net wrote:

> Hi,
> My gateway system is running nat, and...I think it's configured correctly;
> basically I just followed all the steps in the manpage; it's always worked
> w/o any problems--basically I just start it with natd -interface rl0 & boom
> it goes (no firewall, though--no matter what I do, when I have the firewall
> activated, nat doesn't work--i've been saving that for another email). But
> the only address exposed is the external one, as far as I can tell...

Well, if NAT and your firewall don't work together, then private IP
leakage
is still plausible.  It does sound like a long shot, though.

I think the easiest way to test this idea would be to swap IP numbers
between the system that has problems and one of the systems that never has
problems. If the problem moves with the IP number, then it is almost
certainly leakage through your gateway (and your ISP's routers).

It would also be very informative to set up tcpdump (or similar) to
monitor
both your internal network and the link to your ISP, and watch what REALLY
happens when you try to ping the system and it doesn't respond.

Another approach would be to concentrate on the firewall vs. NAT problem
for a while and see if fixing it magically fixes this problem as well ;)

-- Bob

> >If your FreeBSD gateway system is doing NAT (and is >correctly configured),
> >then
> >this explanation doesn't work anyway, because the >address(es) you expose
> >to the
> >outside world is (are) not the 192.168 address.
> >Perhaps it could be a
> >sign that
> >your NAT is misconfigured.

Bob Johnson            Senior Systems Programmer
bob@eng.ufl.edu        College of Engineering
                       523 Weil Hall
352-392-9217 Office    University of Florida
352-392-7063 Fax       Gainesville, FL  32611