Date:      Thu, 01 Jun 2006 09:07:01 -0500
From:      Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>
To:        James Snow <snow@teardrop.org>
Cc:        freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: graid3: FAILURE - out of memory in start

James Snow wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 01, 2006 at 09:37:50AM -0400, James Snow wrote:
>> Is there any debugging information I can enable to help
>> solve this?
>
> Digging through sysctl -a it would seem that kern.geom.raid3.debug is a
> good place to start.  Anything else I should try?
>

> -Snow

Not sure, but a quick grep of the src tree turns up these:

dev/ata/ata-disk.c:     device_printf(dev, "FAILURE - out of memory in
start\n");
dev/pst/pst-raid.c:             printf("pst: out of memory in start\n");

A snippet from ata-disk.c:

[..snip..]
static void
ad_strategy(struct bio *bp)
{
     device_t dev =  bp->bio_disk->d_drv1;
     struct ata_device *atadev = device_get_softc(dev);
     struct ata_request *request;

     if (!(request = ata_alloc_request())) {
         device_printf(dev, "FAILURE - out of memory in start\n");
         biofinish(bp, NULL, ENOMEM);
         return;
     }
[..snip..]

Which ata_alloc_request is defined in ata-all.h as:
#define ata_alloc_request() uma_zalloc(ata_request_zone, M_NOWAIT | M_ZERO)

So... man 9 uma_zalloc might help?

You are certain you didn't run out of memory, or some other resource?

Eric