Date:      Mon, 14 Sep 1998 11:28:05 +0800
From:      R Sriram <rsriram@krdl.org.sg>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Installing FreeBSD via PPP

Hi,

Here's the scenario... I tried installing FreeBSD on my home PC through
PPP.
I dial in to my company and have to authenticate myself using PAP.
Here's
where weird things happen. When I dial in, I am connected directly to
the
organizations's CISCO router, which presents me with a "Username:"
prompt. Authentication through this WILL NOT work. Instead, I have
to start LCP locally, and authenticate myself using PAP. This is the
only
way I can authenticate myself. (Which, BTW, took a hell of a lot of
tweaking
in my current Linux installation).

Here's what I did. Boot using the FreeBSD boot disk, go to the part
where
I need to dial in.

set AuthName <my_user_name>
set AuthKey <my_password>
set log local
set phone <my_isp's_phone_number>
enable ppp
term (starts the terminal)
~ATDT <phone_number>

At this point, the modem dials out, and I connect to my office. The
problem
here is that even though I enabled ppp using the "enable ppp" command, I

get the router's "Username:" prompt (which can't be used anyway), and
PAP
authentication doesn't even start.

Is there any way I could override the output from the remote machine,
and
tell my PC to start LCP / PAP irrespective of what the remote server
says?

Thanks for any help.

Regards,

R Sriram,
Kent Ridge Digital Labs, Singapore.

BTW: FreeBSD *ROCKS*. It beats other PC OSes hollow. I installed it
on my office PC, and it *BLOWS* Linux / windoze to bits. Compilation
simply RIPS through, X windows is terrifically fast, networking is
really
industrial strength, and stability is legendary. A complete kernel
rebuild
took just 3 minutes on my P-II/266 - compared with the 10 minutes for
a Linux recompilation. Thanks a ton for this tremendous OS.