Date:      Wed, 26 Sep 2012 20:17:23 +0200
From:      "Paul Maulberger" <Paul.Maulberger@gmx.de>
To:        Jim Harris <jimharris@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Intel C600 SAS Controller + locate LED (SGPIO)

Hi Folks,

I do not share Jim's opinion. I think the fault led should be access-able by the userspace.

I have a special system monitor daemon which although checks the S.M.A.R.T. information of the hard drive. If information X is above value Y the system monitor daemon informs the admin and sets the fault led.

In this case the driver could not set the fault led because it does not know "my" value Y.

As the fault led is rarely set the userspace and the driver should have shared access to the led. Also a conflict could be easily solved:

solution a: The last one wins.

solution b: If the driver sets the fault led the userspace could not clear it.

What do you think?

Regards
Paul

-------- Original-Nachricht --------