Date:      Mon, 17 Jul 2000 12:33:58 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
Cc:        Leif Neland <leifn@neland.dk>, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: randomdev entropy gathering is really weak

Ok, I missed whatever post prompted this, but I can certainly express
opinions :-).

On Mon, 17 Jul 2000, Garrett Wollman wrote:

> <<On Mon, 17 Jul 2000 17:08:35 +0200 (CEST), Leif Neland <leifn@neland.dk> said:
>
> > If you can't reach a NTP server, you are not connected to the internet. In
> > that case you don't need to worry so much about security...
>
> Unless, of course, the reason your machine is not connected to the
> Internet is in order that it be able to provide some critical security
> functionality.

I concur.  In fact, I am not so worried about what gets in -- stopping
that is easy, it's preventing things from getting out.  So it's easy for
my to hypothesize a situation in which traffic, such as NTP, is
specifically blocked from going out the door, yet there are still security
concerns with incoming traffic and attackers.  A multi-layered defense
nees individual layers to remain resilient even in the face of the failure
of preceeding layers.

In fact, you can even imagine (pretty easily)  attacks that involve
cutting off accessing to remote time services.  For example, in Kerberos
environments, limiting access to time services can be a potent attack,
both from the DoS perspective, and pushing custom applications outside of
their normal operation bounds (as well as operators, who do bizarre things
when faced with failures, like try to make use of unencrypted login when
encrypted login fails).  As well as attacks against NFS with drifting
clocks that result in improper behavior, same with digital signatures and
certificates.

So without knowledge of the context, there are limited claims I can make
about the accuracy of the statement, but in the broad case (and
specifically my environment), I'd say that security services should use
NTP when available, but failing when it is not is not a good thing :-)

  Robert N M Watson