Date:      Fri, 14 Aug 1998 16:07:48 +0100
From:      Adam Nealis <adamn@criterion.canon.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and Java

Richard M. Neswold wrote:

> If memory serves, didn't Adam Nealis say:
> >
> > http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/jw-00-1998/jw-00-volanomark.html
> >
> > The FreeBSD (1.1.5 was tested) came in last 8(, beaten by a Linux (1.1.6)
> > version.
>
> The article does state, however:
>
>         "The Linux and FreeBSD virtual machines do quite well considering
>         that neither of them have a just-in-time compiler or native
>         threads."
>
> So the author wasn't running Kaffe. In this context, FreeBSD/Linux
> performance wasn't too shabby.

I agree. Obviously native threads would adversely affect performance. I was
trying to show what, in my view, was a pretty comprehensive review. More
impressive was the "write once, run in lots of places" aspect of Java.
Normally I see that Linux, and more often, FreeBSD are excluded from this sort
of thing, often for no good reason that I can see.

BTW, what is Kaffe?

Adam.