Date:      Mon, 7 May 2001 11:07:56 -0700
From:      steve@Watt.COM (Steve Watt)
To:        pekkas@netcore.fi, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4.3-S: No buffer space available [SOLVED: dummynet]

pekkas@netcore.fi wrote:
>On Sat, 5 May 2001, Pekka Savola wrote:
>Ok.  This was caused by the dummynet rule, either directly or indirectly.

[...]

>The traffic being shaped to 20Mbit/s ranged from 25-35 Mbit/s (steady),
>mostly outgoing.

>Has dummynet been tested in this kind of heavy environment?
>
>Is there a better value for 'queue', e.g. 1000Kbytes in this scenario?

OK, this seems to me to be a guaranteed cause of "no buffer space
available".  If your pipe is only 20Mb and you're trying to stuff
25-35Mb though it, that's 5-15Mb that need to be stashed somewhere
*every second*.  A perfectly good place to stash that amount of
stuff is /dev/null, unless you have some *huge* buffers allocated.

Am I missing something?

I don't know if dummynet supports it, but if you can enable random
early dropping[1] (RED), that should do a decent job of throttling
TCP connections to lower the demand.

[1]OK, I *know* that's not what the RED acronym expands to, but it
does the job...

--
Steve Watt KD6GGD  PP-ASEL-IA          ICBM: 121W 56' 57.8" / 37N 20' 14.9"
 Internet: steve @ Watt.COM                         Whois: SW32