Date:      Fri, 8 Oct 1999 16:03:16 +0800
From:      Yusuf Goolamabbas <yusufg@outblaze.com>
To:        Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Trying to achieve zen with natd

> > > That doesn't really make any sense...  Is fxp1 attached to your
> > > private network, or the public network?
> >
> > Both, some machines on that network have valid routable address and some
> > machines have non routable addresses. Therefore I have aliased a 192.168
> > on this interface
> >
> > What I would like is packets coming via this aliased interface get
> > NAT'ted to the public interface which is also bound to the same card
> > This card is connected to a switch which connects via a router to the
> > WAN interface
>
> Aah, now that makes sense.  Someone asked me how to do this just the
> other day. :-)  Put the IP address of the alias you assigned to fxp1
> in natd_interface="" in /etc/rc.conf instead of the interface name.

Did that in the beggining. The issue is that the machines default router
is on 'fxp0' whilst the NATD alias is on "fxp1". Machines in the
192.168.0 network can only go to the network listed on fxp1. They can't
go to the network on fxp0 . Is this what NAT is supposed to do

What I thought was that NAT would rewrite the source addresses of
incoming packets to the real IP address bound to fxp1 and then normal
routing would occur from there. This doesn't seem to be happening