Date:      Tue, 14 Apr 1998 01:23:21 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
Cc:        "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@futuresouth.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: the place of vi

On Tue, 14 Apr 1998, John Birrell wrote:

> Matthew D. Fuller wrote:
> > Any thoughts on the wisdom of this?  I *CAN'T* be the only one who thinks
> > this way...
>
> Some (many?) don't use vi. I do, though, but I just mount /usr to
> exit rc.conf. Do you have a funny set up that doesn't let you
> boot single user, then:
>
> mount -u /
> mount /usr
> vi /etc/rc.conf

Though, having lived through a couple bad panics, it would have been
nice not to have to rely on my weak knowledge of ed.  I would guess
that, most likely, if you know enough about your system to be able to
make some real use of a statically linked vi, then you probably do
already know how to make it yourself.  Statically linked, it's huge, and
those of us that have minimal systems (not me!) would correctly howl at
the idea of the bloat.

> --
> John Birrell - jb@cimlogic.com.au; jb@freebsd.org http://www.cimlogic.com.au/
> CIMlogic Pty Ltd, GPO Box 117A, Melbourne Vic 3001, Australia +61 418 353 137

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |