Date:      Sat, 15 Jan 2000 11:21:58 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Tatsumi Hosokawa <hosokawa@itc.keio.ac.jp>
Cc:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Polling mode of pcic as default?

In message <86oganhgj8.wl@ringo.FromTo.Cc> Tatsumi Hosokawa writes:
: I think that better default behavior of pcic is polling mode (for
: instetion/removal of cards) because,
: 1. IRQ mode does not work on some pc-card controller on -current
:    and coming 4.0-RELEASE (Toshiba ToPIC, TI-1250, etc.).
: 2. IRQ is very expensive resource.
: 3. Cost of polling mode is little.

I think that so long as I can set the pcic irq from the boot
loader/userconfig, I'm happy with making polling default.  There are
more race conditions with polling (actually, there aren't more, but
their windows are larger), so we may see more system hangs with
polling rather than with the interrupt method, but I don't know how
many more.

Warner