Date:      Thu, 25 Jun 1998 23:37:01 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Blaz Zupan <blaz@gold.amis.net>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IP redirects

> > I know about the sysctl variable "net.inet.ip.redirect", which one can use
> > to inhibit FreeBSD _sending_ IP redirects. But is there a variable to
>
> Why?  Do you have a misbeahving NT box?

I have a machine connected to a subnet where I have two routers - one is a
Cisco connected to our main satellite link, the other is a Livingston
OR-ST which is the ISDN backup link. When we switch over to the backup
link, the redirections start piling up on the FreeBSD box, because the
default route points at the Cisco. When the Cisco comes back up, all those
redirections cause havoc - the OR-HS's default route points to the (now
down) ISDN link, which means most of the traffic from the BSD box goes to
a nonworking link. There are (AFAIK) three solutions:

1. Run gated on the FreeBSD box (which I would rather not do)
2. Put the Cisco and the OR-HS into another subnet (which I don't like)
3. Inhibit IP redirects (which somebody suggested could be done with ipfw)

I think I'll pick number 3).

Best regards,

Blaz Zupan, blaz@medinet.si, http://home.amis.net/blaz
Medinet d.o.o., Linhartova 21, 2000 Maribor, Slovenia