Date:      Tue, 08 Oct 2019 19:18:25 -0500
From:      Mike Karels <mike@karels.net>
To:        Ian Lepore <ian@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Glen Barber <gjb@freebsd.org>, Emmanuel Vadot <manu@bidouilliste.com>, freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 12.1-BETA3 won't boot on Beaglebone Black

I trimmed most of the context, the quoting was getting rather deep.
Responding to multiple messages...

> > >  Even when using the button to force booting from sdcard ?
> > >

> > Huh.  Yeah, I do see 'sdhci_ti1-slot0: Controller timeout' when using
> > the button.
> >
> > Glen
> >

> BTW, those controller timeouts are non-fatal.  If you let it keep
> trying, eventually the board finishes booting (it takes over 2
> minutes).  But you can't access the emmc.  If you want a workaround for
> faster booting until the problem is fixed, add dev.sdhci_ti.1.timeout=1
> to /boot/loader.conf.

> -- Ian

- I have tried multiple SD cards, and they boot other releases; as noted,
they are not the problem.

- I hadn't waited long enough / for enough repeats of the timeout.  Looks
like it takes 16 failures, but it does in fact boot.  It then prints

    mmc1: No compatible cards found on bus

and there is no mmcsd1 in /dev.

- Setting the timeout to 1 makes booting tolerable.  I'll keep BETA3
running now.

Thanks,
		Mike