Date:      Thu, 27 Jan 2000 17:48:34 -0800
From:      R Joseph Wright <rjoseph@nwlink.com>
To:        George Cox <gjvc@extremis.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What are the differences?

George Cox wrote:

> On 27/01 12:23, R Joseph Wright wrote:
>
> > I cannot agree here.  I've had too many Error Code 1's while building
> > ports, and even a few kernel panics.  I think the ports have a long way
> > to go.  FreeBSD could use a better packaging system for the installation
> > of binaries for those of us who don't want to compile every program we
> > put on our systems.  "pkg_add" is adequate, but not nearly as advanced as
> > rpm.
>
> Please do not spread such disinformation unless you know what you are
> talking about.  In this case you apparently don't.  Your kernel panics
> while building are more than likely dodgy hardware.  (Check your memory)

Kernel panics may be caused by bad hardware, but most of the error codes
had to do with dependency problems; the ports are suppposed to handle
this, aren't they?
I'm looking into the possibility of bad voltage settings on my cpu.  I
wouldn't know how to check my memory, I only know that it is pc100, 128
MB sdram and that it is installed correctly.

> Given a few months more experience, I bet you won't be speaking ill of the
> ports system. :-)

I still insist that FreeBSD needs a better packaging system for
installing and upgrading with binaries.  I have had a lot of problems
trying to build metaports for kde and gnome that are definitely not
hardware related.  I'd type in "make" in the gnome metaport, for
example, and there would be no response, only a new command prompt.
This was using a freshly updated ports tree.  Also, you can't update
software with the ports, you can only install a new program, and it
won't uninstall the old one for you.  This is *my* experience with the
ports, if it works for you, wonderful.

--
R Joseph Wright

*I merely took the energy it takes to pout
and wrote some blues --Duke Ellington*