Date:      Thu, 09 Nov 2000 10:37:04 -0600
From:      Drew Sanford <drew@planetwe.com>
To:        Anthony Fox <adf5j@cs.virginia.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: sendmail, nonexistent domain, again

Anthony Fox wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 09, 2000 at 10:29:09AM -0600, Drew Sanford wrote:
> > >    #----- Transcript of session follows -----
> > > #... while talking to mail.virginia.edu.:
> > > #>>> MAIL From:<ant@thewall.mydomain.tld>
> > > #<<< 501 Sender domain must exist
> > > #Reporting-MTA: dns; thewall.mydomain.tld
> > > #From: Anthony Fox <ant@mydomain.tld>
> >
> > Thats all you need to know:
> >
> > root@db(~)# nslookup mydomain.tld
> > Server:  admin.planetwe.com
> > Address:  10.0.0.1
> >
> > *** admin.planetwe.com can't find mydomain.tld: Non-existent host/domain
> >
> > obviously mydomain.tld does not exist, and no mail relay host in its
> > right circut is going accept mail from a domain that doesn't exist.
>
> right, mydomain.tld was just an example.  the real emails had my domain
> in there.  :)  i am sorry for the confusion.
>
> -anthony.

Anthony, if your domain exists, then can you run a lookup on the actual
box? For instance, obviously planetwe.com exist, but you can't run an
nslookup on leila.planetwe.com - so you can't send mail from it without
having it masquerade as planetwe.com:

(from sendmail.cf)
# who I masquerade as (null for no masquerading) (see also $=M)
DMplanetwe.com

this allows me to send mail as drew@planetwe.com. It looks like you
probably have a similar situation.

--