Date:      Thu, 13 Apr 2000 13:51:16 +1000
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
To:        Omachonu Ogali <oogali@intranova.net>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sysctl

On Tue, Apr 04, 2000 at 06:43:03PM +1000, Omachonu Ogali wrote:
>I don't know whether to hand this to -doc or here, so I'll take the risk
>of here, patch simply adds comments to sysctl variables.

Before you get too enthusiastic about adding description strings to the
declarations, you might like to work out:
1) How to store the descriptions so they are accessible to sysctl(8),
   but don't bloat the loaded kernel image.
2) How sysctl(8) should locate the descriptions.

Note that your solution needs to include support for dynamically
loaded sysctls.

This issue tends to come up regularly.  The last thread I recall was
at the end of November last year in a thread on cvs-all.  Have a look
at http://people.freebsd.org/~green/sysctl.descr.patch for one
implementation.

Peter