Date:      Wed, 2 Feb 2000 22:47:31 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
To:        Marco van de Voort <marcov@stack.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: porting linux app. Syscalls

On Thu, 3 Feb 2000, Marco van de Voort wrote:

> --- not related to the other 3
> 4. In the rare event that I get it finished this week; The ports howto doesn't seems to
> apply to bootstrapping stuff. (It assumes the apps are gcc based or created by
> a gcc compiled app (like perl).
>
> Where does such an app fit into the BSD project?
>
> - several megs of Pascal source (entire project + sideprojects + texdocs is 25 MB source)
> - gmake makefiles.
> - binary required to start the compile(either native FBSD or linux)
>
> . (compiling the bsd version with the linux
> compiler is also possible I think, if a linux binary can create an ordinary FBSD
> binary)

This is just answering the last point.  The modula-3 port is about the
same size as yours, and it bootstraps, but (like you said) it does it from
C.  The lang/objc port *used* to require a binary-only bootstrap image,
only.  What I did there was to move the linux image home, use it to
bootstrap a FreeBSD image, stored that on my home page, and made the port
fetch it as one of the distfiles.  In building the port, it just
referenced the FreeBSD-native binary boot image to bootstrap itself, but
it did build a full image of itself from that.

Objc doesn't need that anymore (it has a C boot now) but you could take
that approach.  It's in the archives, probably version 1.5 of the
Makefile, from October 97.

> Marco van de Voort (MarcoV@Stack.nl)
> <http://www.stack.nl/~marcov/xtdlib.htm>;

Chuck Robey            | Interests include C & Java programming, FreeBSD,
chuckr@picnic.mat.net  | electronics, communications, and signal processing.

New Year's Resolution:  I will not sphroxify gullible people into looking up
fictitious words in the dictionary.