Date:      Wed, 24 Jun 2015 08:21:51 +0300
From:      Alexander Motin <mav@FreeBSD.org>
To:        John-Mark Gurney <jmg@funkthat.com>, Max Gurtovoy <maxg@mellanox.com>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org, Sagi Grimberg <sagig@mellanox.com>,  Oren Duer <oren@mellanox.com>, Hans Petter Selasky <hanss@mellanox.com>
Subject:   Re: gmultipath HA over iscsi/iser

Hi, Max.

On 24.06.2015 03:14, John-Mark Gurney wrote:
> Max Gurtovoy wrote this message on Tue, Jun 23, 2015 at 18:42 +0300:

Yes, that is by design. Otherwise geom tasting process could be confused
in some situations. For example, it may be not obvious whether partition
tables should be handled over multipath or over raw devices. And if user
mounts file system via partition labels or GPT IDs, it is not
predictable which of three (or more) instances he will mount.

There is sysctl kern.geom.multipath.exclusive, documented in man page,
to control that behavior, but I would not recommend you to disable it.

There is an Easter egg in GEOM that allows to do the same:
kern.geom.debugflags=16. It allows access to raw GEOM devices in any
situation. But that is a hack and should be considered as such with all
possible cautions.

I am not aware about such bug. We may need some deeper debugging to
diagnose that.

> Though I realize it's difficult, it's easiest to look at the source to
> see who's been touching it last:
> https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/head/sys/geom/multipath/g_multipath.c?view=log
>
> Looks like mav has been somewhat active recently...  I've cc'd him...
>
>> Maybe we can discuss about testing the gmultipath driver over iscsi/iser
>> devices and fix some bugs together ?
>
> I can help out some, but engaging mav, or some of the others that
> are more active in storage would be better...
>
>> We are planning to add it to our test plan and HA is in high priority
>> for us.
>
> You should definately talk/coordinate w/ the people at iXsystems (mav
> works there), as they work in storage w/ iSCSI, etc.

I was not a original gmultipath author, but I've rewritten significant
part of it to make it work, and now it works fine for us. I am open to
bug reports and propositions about improving it.

--
Alexander Motin