Date:      Mon, 08 Mar 1999 17:51:21 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        David Dawes <dawes@rf900.physics.usyd.edu.au>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GGI

> Speaking of which (the Linux fb driver, not GGI), we're just adding a
> driver to XFree86 4.0 that can use the Linux fb driver.  It is useful
> from our point of view for getting initial unaccelerated support for
> otherwise unsupported video cards.  I had a feeling that something
> similar could be done for FreeBSD (using the VESA support in -current).
> Is that right?  If so, is anyone interested in doing it?

It should be very simple; basically all that's missing right now is the
ability to get the linear framebuffer address information from the VESA
BIOS back into user-space.  You should have no trouble mapping the
video aperture.

Would you want an interface for page-flipping etc. as well?  Any design
proposals that would make life optimal for you?