Date:      Sun, 1 Dec 2019 22:56:27 +0100
From:      Michael Tuexen <Michael.Tuexen@macmic.franken.de>
To:        John F Carr <jfc@mit.edu>
Cc:        "freebsd-arm@freebsd.org" <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: 64 bit ARM systems with more than four cores

> On 1. Dec 2019, at 22:37, John F Carr <jfc@mit.edu> wrote:
>=20
> I have a quad core 64 bit ARM system (SoftIron Overdrive 1000).  I am =
wondering what faster 64 bit ARM systems exist and which of them work, =
or almost work, with FreeBSD.
>=20
> Excluding 4 core and below systems regardless of performance, and also =
excluding cloud-only hardware, I made the list below.  Did I miss =
anything or inaccurately describe support?
>=20
> Two RK3399 based systems, 2 A-72 + 4 A-53: RockPro64 =
(http://www.pine64.com/) and ROCK Pi 4 (http://radxa.com).  I can't use =
the RockPro64 due to the 1.5 MBps serial port.  Apparently it works or =
almost works with some special handling if your serial interface can =
count to 1,500,000.  The ROCK Pi 4 is in crochet so it must work... =
right?  Does it have a reasonable console port bit rate?
>=20
> SoftIron Overdrive 3000, 8 A-53 cores.  No longer available.
>=20
> One LX2160A based system, 16 A-72 cores: HoneyComb LX2K =
(https://www.solid-run.com/nxp-lx2160a-family/honeycomb-workstation/).  =
I see relevant files in sys/gnu/dts/arm64/freescale but nothing outside =
of these files imported from Linux.  It's not mentioned on =
https://wiki.freebsd.org/arm64.  My guess is that means FreeBSD does not =
run.  Is it a little job or a big one?
>=20
> SC2A11, 24 A-53 cores at 1 GHz: SynQuacer =
(https://www.96boards.org/product/developerbox/).  I don't see any =
evidence of  SC2A11 support in the kernel tree or on =
https://wiki.freebsd.org/arm64.  My guess is that means FreeBSD does not =
run.
>=20
> ThunderX in various forms, rack mount or workstation.  Nice specs and =
apparently supported but the two American system builders don't seem =
interested in selling me one.
>=20
> ThunderX2.  Great specs and apparently mostly supported but rather =
expensive..
I'm running a system from Ampere Computing / Lenovo:
https://amperecomputing.com/
in my lab.

See the dmesg output at
https://dmesgd.nycbug.org/index.cgi?do=3Dview&id=3D5068