Date:      Wed, 7 Aug 2002 18:26:50 +0200 (MEST)
From:      Michael Grant <mg-fbsd3@grant.org>
To:        "Jack L. Stone" <jackstone@sage-one.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: disk based backup s/w

>>I'm looking for something to backup my files to a spare disk.  But not
>>just something like dump/restore that globs all the files into one
>>large file (a virtual tape).  And not just a cpdup to the spare disk
>>either.
>>
>>I'd like to find something that's a bit more intelligent, something
>>which lets me easily get at older versions of files or restore an
>>entire file system.  Something which doesn't store multiple copies of
>>the same file and which uses compression and maybe even encryption.
>>
>>If I can't find anything suitable, I may just start an open source
>>project to do something like this.
>>
>>Michael Grant
>>
>Then I suppose you would look at "tar" (base system) or "gtar" ( from ports
>good for bigger than 2GB files)....

Jack, tar is most definitely a solution which produces a tape archive
(hence the name tar: Tape ARchiver).  As I said, this is definitly not
what I'm looking for.

How can I make this more clear?  I'm searching for something has the
following qualities:

1) The backed up files on the backup disk are accessible individually
(as in I don't have to hunt through a tarball)

2) Several versions of the backed up file will exist like incremental
backups.

3) Compressed, maybe encrypted

4) Support for restoring an entire filesystem with things like
devices, pipes, and in it.

So far, in my searching, I have found something named storebackup on
sourceforge.net which is a set of perlscripts.  It handles only
regular files, but it's in the right direction.  I'd like to find
something like this but more complete.