Date:      Thu, 27 Jul 2000 09:36:37 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@pike.osd.bsdi.com>
To:        John Reynolds <jjreynold@home.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: unable to use disklabel -B from fixit floppy?

John Reynolds wrote:

> Hello all ... hope this is the right group for this ....

Umm, well.  First off, disklabel -B doesn't fix your MBR.  fdisk does that,
or boot0cfg if you are using boot0 to dual-boot.  However, can you type
disklabel ad0 now and get useful information?  Or disklabel ad0sX (where X
is the slice number for your FreeBSD slice)?

> So, then I just fell back to method #2 which I've done before in going into the
> partition editor within sysinstall, editing NOTHING but hitting 'w' to write
> the current information along with the boot sector. This happily worked.

Yes, this touches the MBR.  The disklabel command serves the same purpose as
the label editor in sysinstall.  IOW, you use disklabel to lay out partitions
(a-h) within a FreeBSD slice.

> But, why did I get the wierd error above? Previously I had compiled and
> installed a new 4.1-STABLE world. Is the disklabel command from 4.0 somehow
> incompatible with device entries or something else in 4.1-STABLE?

See if disklabel ad0 works now.

--

John Baldwin <jhb@bsdi.com> -- http://www.FreeBSD.org/~jhb/