Date:      Fri, 14 Jul 2006 22:14:46 +0200 (CEST)
From:      <pfgshield-freebsd@yahoo.com>
To:        Mark Linimon <linimon@lonesome.com>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RFC: Merging X11BASE to LOCALBASE

--- Mark Linimon <linimon@lonesome.com> ha scritto:

> On Fri, Jul 14, 2006 at 09:17:56PM +0200, pfgshield-freebsd@yahoo.com wrote:
> > but life is already pretty hard for people wanting to use
> > XFree86 (no packages for KDE, GNOME, etc...)
>
> We simply don't have the horsepower on the build cluster, or disk space on
> the mirrors, to support this.  It takes 5 days to build i386 sources as it
> is, and nearly a month to build the others.

I know.. and I was not suggesting to fix that :(. I'm not really endorsing the
BASE merger either, I just think that if it's going to be done it would be nice
to have XFree86 in it's own prefix.

At least for 4.x keeping two prefixes seems to be better: I wonder if binary
packages will still work properly or not when changing X11BASE and I guess
/usr/X11R6 or a symlink will have to be kept in the path for several releases
anyway.

Pedro.