Date:      Wed, 13 Jun 2001 17:31:51 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Francisco Reyes <lists@natserv.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions List <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   How to troubleshoot freezing?

I have a machine that as of 2 weeks ago has started freezing.
I am not sure whether it is hardware or software. When it freezes nothing
responds, not even the numlock key. After powering off startup ALWAYS
freezes doing fsck. I have to take the drive to another
machine to fsck.

I have run a hardware check program (memory, HD, cpu, etc..) and no errors
found.

The reason I suspect it may be hardware is that sometimes the re-start
doesn't work and I have to reset 2 or 3 times. During the failed attempts
the HDs power up and the CD rom is initialized, but the machine doesn't
come up (i.e. the monitor remains in sleep mode).

Is there any debug mode on FreeBSD so I can let if log all activity and
see what the machine was doing when it froze? I am trying to see if there
is a pattern. If I could at least narrow it down to a component then I
could change it.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.