Date:      Thu, 17 Jul 1997 22:40:36 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Conrad Sabatier <conrads@neosoft.com>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: MAJOR progress on the AWE 64 sound front under FreeBSD!

On 18-Jul-97 Amancio Hasty wrote:
>Well, the PnP stuff is not that bad if you happen to have a PnP bios
>and know what the BIOS sets your card to then you can treat it
>as a regular card provided of course that the card does not require
>further initialization such as the gus pnp.

The problem with my system is that it has this lousy motherboard audio
that conflicts with the AWE 64.  So I had to disable the PnP BIOS and
manually configure everything.

>You haven't mentioned which sound driver are you using.

VoxWare Sound Driver:3.0-beta-950506 (Sun Feb 5 14:38:12 EST 1995
freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com)

>Till Luigi rolls out his supper duper sound driver with PnP support you
>can init PnP devices in FreeBSD with:
>
>ftp://rah.star-gate.com/pub/FreeBSD-ISA_PnP_June8.tar.gz
>
>Sujal Patel from Progressive Networks is the author of the PnP
>code .

Yes, I've experimented with this before, but because I was still using the
PnP BIOS at the time, it didn't help (the card still wasn't being found at
boot time).  I think now that the card is being recognized, and the
motherboard audio is disabled (hallelujah!), this might help.  Will try it
again, for sure.

>Randall reminded me about a patch to the above PnP code.
>Recently I bought a SB 16 PnP and my BIOS is initializing the
>card so I don't need the PnP code for my P133 test system .
>The PnP code can reconfigure the card in case that I specifically
>need to test or use a configuration.

My machine has one of the weirdest BIOSes.  If I enable PnP, the AWE 64
isn't found.  If I disable PnP, the AWE 64 is found, but the motherboard
PS/2 mouse disappears.  Really screwy.

I finally had to attach a serial mouse and disable PnP altogether.  Of
course, this means the card is not being initialized, which I think is why
the MIDI/au stuff is still not right.

Still, I seem to be on the right track, at last.  Will explore the PnP code
and the AWE driver, and hopefully get the card fully functional soon.

In the meantime, it sure is nice to finally have CD audio!  :-)

--
Conrad Sabatier
http://www.neosoft.com/~conrads/