Date:      Sat, 9 Dec 1995 12:47:03 -0800 (PST)
From:      Charlie Root <root@bsd1.pocket.com>
To:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Old Emacs

hi

I've been trying to build an earlier version of Emacs (19.19) for
FreeBSD 2.1.0 and have run into trouble with the linker. The package
compiles cleanly - with adjustment to 'sys_errlist' references, that is - but
ld complains with an error message that '__DYNAMIC' can't be referenced.
If I feed ld the -Bstatic option , I then get an error message that
'___progname' can't be referenced. I'm using the s-386bsd.h config file.
I'm sure things would go much better if I'd just use  current Emacs-19.30,
but it's gotten so large and my disk space is limited. I'd sure appreciate
any help. Thanks.
Jim

RA: e3387471@adsnet.net