Date:      Tue, 25 Sep 2001 19:59:22 -0700
From:      Chip <chip@wiegand.org>
To:        swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FDISK Partition Editor Question

On Tuesday 25 September 2001 18:54, you wrote:
> Chip <chip@wiegand.org> writes:
> > Name		PType 		Desc		Subtype		Flags
> >   -		   6		unused		     0
> > ad0s1		   3		FreeBSD	    165		   C
> >   -		   6		unused		      0
> >
> > Now when I choose to Set Bootable, I am assuming I do that to the ad0s1
> > partition, right? What are the other two partitions? And why are there 3
> > of them anyway? I choose the option to use the entire disk afterall.
>
> I think it's more accurate to say that there is only 1 primary partition
> (slice) and 2 unused disk areas.  I suppose that one could have as many
> as 4 primary partitions and 5 unused disk areas.
>
> I'm suprised that doesn't say something about C/H/S and sizes.  If it
> did, I think you'd see that there's one track (one head, one cyl)
> reserved for the MBR and nothing else I know about.  FreeBSD seems
> to always use track boundaries as slice boundaries.
>
> That doesn't explain the last type-6 area, unless maybe you asked for
> a certain number of cylinders instead of using the remaining number
> of bytes (which would be a multipe of one track), and maybe it left the
> last cylinder (or cylinder minus a track?) unused.  I've never see that,
> though I always see the first unused area.

The c/h/s stuff I just left out because of space. The last type-6 partition
is the oddity. Even though I select Use Entire Disk, it still leaves behind
that same amount of space. When I choose C to create the partition it shows
the amount of space available, I assume it shows all the disk space minus the
boot area, and I just select all of it, and it leaves that little type-6 area
there. Too strange. It's only about 2 megs, so no big deal, just curious.
--
Chip

> BTW, a similar thing goes on with the secondary partitions (BSD
> "partitions") within the primary partitions.  The primary partition
> has a boot record and something like 16 sectors of other disklabel+
> secondary boot code and, IIRC, unused areas to make some secondary
> partition and track (or cylinder?) boundaries line up.

Chip W.