Date:      Fri, 25 Apr 1997 02:53:48 -0700 (PDT)
From:      asami@vader.cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, jdp@polstra.com
Subject:   Re: ftp://freefall.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/LOCAL_PORTS

 * Now that freefall is no longer accepting FTP connections (hub is, and
 * is serving the same files, but then no one points to hub :-) I think
 * maybe it's time to stop putting the local ports on there, don't you
 * think?  More specifically, I think that putting them in
 * ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/LOCAL_PORTS would make more sense
 * for both space and speed reasons.

But what about availability reasons? :)  ftp.freebsd.org is the backup
site as well, so when it's down both primary and backups will be
unreachable.  I thought that's the whole reason why we made it
separate in the first place.

 * What do you think?  We have the space, and I've already copied the
 * files into /archive/.3/FreeBSD...

I suggest we keep them on hub but with a different name so that we
don't have to change ports again in the future.  How about making an
alias "ftp-local.freebsd.org" point to hub?  I can change the ports
and handbooks.

Satoshi