Date:      Tue, 28 Jul 1998 14:15:22 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
To:        scrappy@hub.org (The Hermit Hacker)
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cdrecord no longer working with CAM?

The Hermit Hacker wrote...

> Morning...
>
> 	Just finally got a chance to move my home system over to CAM,
> based on the July 16th SNAPSHOT.  I copied the cdrecord-cam stuff over to
> ports, and rebuilt/installed that, but it no longer works:
>
> %cdrecord -v PostgreSQL.img
> Cdrecord release 1.6 Copyright (C) 1995-1998 Jrg Schilling
> TOC Type: 1 = CD-ROM
> scsidev: '0,6,0'
> scsibus: 0 target: 6 lun: 0
> cdrecord: Inappropriate ioctl for device. Cannot get SCSI addr.
> cdrecord: Cannot do inquiry for CD-Recorder.
> cdrecord: Undefined error: 0. test unit ready: scsi sendcmd: fatal error
> CDB:  00 00 00 00 00 00
> cmd finished after 0.000s timeout 40s
> %ls -lt /dev/scgx
> lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  8 Jul 28 01:20 /dev/scgx -> rcd1.ctl

	The scgx device shouldn't have anything to do with it.  I assume
your CD-R is at bus 0, target 6, lun 0?  In any case, it looks like you
probably have mis-matched your libraries/headers and kernel.

	Have you done make world?  The cdrecord port looks for the userland
CAM stuff, and if it can't find it it assumes that you've got a machine
based on the old SCSI subsystem.  The "Inappropriate ioctl for device" is a
pretty good clue that kernel isn't getting what it expected.

> 	On top of that, when I reboot, I'm seeing:
>
> (probe6:ncr0:0:6:0): COMMAND FAILED (6 ff) @f0a0ba00.
> (probe5:ncr0:0:5:0): COMMAND FAILED (6 ff) @f0a0a000.
> (probe4:ncr0:0:4:0): COMMAND FAILED (6 ff) @f0a0a600.
> (probe3:ncr0:0:3:0): COMMAND FAILED (6 ff) @f0a0ac00.
> (probe2:ncr0:0:2:0): COMMAND FAILED (6 ff) @f0a07200.
> (probe1:ncr0:0:1:0): COMMAND FAILED (6 ff) @f0a07800.
> (probe0:ncr0:0:0:0): COMMAND FAILED (6 ff) @f0a07e00.

	Nope, that doesn't have anything to do with it.  Those error
messages are generated during the probe process.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken@plutotech.com